Monday, July 7, 2014

g(Math) and g(Math) for Sheets updates!

tl;dr: g(Math) is updated to zoom in on different regions of the graph and you can also plot points as well as any number of functions!

full version: The top request for g(Math) and the one I have been working on the past few weeks unsuccessfully was to alter the graphing part of g(Math) to allow the user to specify a range other than the standard window of -10 to 10. I have updated g(Math) with this new graphing capability and it should be live in the next few minutes. If you already have installed g(Math) and g(Math) for Sheets you don't need to do anything. If you haven't installed it yet, what are you waiting for? :)




The Wolfram Cloud for Wolfram Language was launched last week and I was ecstatic to see some of the possibilities of creating your own Instant APIs! The first Instant API I was able to deploy allows this option and more!

In addition to allowing you to specify your viewing window, you can also plot a list of points on the same graph as well! Just fill in the box with a list of points of the form {x,y} separating each point with a comma.
For example: {3,2},{-4,1},{2,Pi}


Yes, you can use Pi to specify the axes and plot points using it! I will be publishing an in-depth guide to the new extensive feature that are enabled by using my API and I am working on entering the functions through a more intuitive interface as well, but wanted to get this update out there as it is my most requested feature by far.


I have tons of great stuff for g(Math) in the pipeline thanks to the API capabilities of Wolfram. Some of the ideas I have cooking:

  • Solving equations for a specified variable (YAY!!)
  • Individualized Quizzes with g(Math) for Sheets (I know this has been in the pipeline for a while...)
    • Better automatic grading of these individualized quizzes (This is what I am most pumped about!!) 
  • Normal Distribution Displays
  • Creating 5-number summaries and other Statistical Displays
  • Other requests??
If you want to see a new feature or have an update request, please let me know via google.com/+JohnMcGowan or on Twitter: @jmacattak.